Thursday, May 15, 2014

Detroit Red Wings Get New Arena

Before I talk about the new arena the Detroit Red Wings were recently approved for, let’s take a look back at how they got there. 

Olympia Stadium
wikimedia.org
The Detroit Red Wings were founded in 1926 as the Detroit Cougars and after their inaugural season in Windsor, began playing at Olympia Stadium on October 26, 1927.  The arena initially held 11,500 seats.  It was one of the premier venues at the time and held championship boxing matches as well as circuses and concerts.  The Red Wings won 7 Stanley Cups at Olympia, however over time the arena became run down and in 1979 the Wings played their last home game at the historic venue.

blogspot.com


Joe Louis Arena
In the same year Olympia closed its doors, Joe Louis Arena opened next to Cobo Hall.  With 20,000 seats and originally planned to host both the Red Wings and Detroit Pistons, the Joe became the sole home of the then nicknamed “Dead Wings.”  There was much speculation the Red Wings' franchise needed to be sold after compiling 2 decades of terrible seasons. 

flickr.com
 In 1982 the owner of Little Caesars Pizza chain, Mike Ilitch, bought the Red Wings and although the team struggled in the 80s, turned things around in the 90s.  Beginning in 1991, Detroit has made the playoffs 23 consecutive seasons (current sports record), made 6 finals appearances, and won 4 Stanley Cups.

nhle.com

I never made it to Olympia but I have been to at least 75 games at the Joe.  It is one of the funnest venues for any sporting event.  It is old and worn down but the atmosphere is better than anywhere I’ve ever been.  It’s bitter sweet they are leaving Joe Louis.  

Game 4 of this year's playoffs from my phone

Warm ups from game 4 of playoffs from my phone


New Arena
Now after 35 years playing at Joe Louis Arena, the Detroit Red Wings finally get a new home.  A new arena was recently approved by the City of Detroit and is set to begin construction this spring with doors scheduled to open for the 2016 – 2017 season.  The news comes as no surprise as Ilitch Holdings, owned by Mike and Marian Ilitch, have been discussing the possibility of moving from Joe Louis since 2010 when they renewed their lease of the arena.  The new arena will be located on the corner of Woodward and the I-75 service drive, across the street from Hockey Town Café.  

blogspot.com

blogspot.com
The venue is expected to cost $450 million and generate some 8,300 jobs for Detroiters. No name or design of the arena has been made public, but we do know it will hold 18,000 seats.  This is a big deal for the Detroit Red Wings, their fans, and most importantly a revenue booster for the City of Detroit.


King, R., & Littmann, D. (2014). Hat Trick. dbusiness, 9(3), 69-73.


Don’t forget to follow me @EJ_Hockey_Post on twitter or my Facebook fan page ericjhockeypost

10 comments:

  1. Very interesting. I am curious how it will look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is intersting to see how it will look. However, I do not think this is the best option. There is not anything really wrong with Joe Louis and all the great memories are there. I have to say it is definitely bitter sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. I'm excited for a bit of change (the new arena will be amazing, I'm sure), but at the same time, the Joe holds 2,000 more people (does this mean the new arena will charge more for tickets?!) and really doesn't seem to have any major problems. Maybe just an update of the Joe would have been a good choice? I'm also interested to see how the traffic/parking situation turns out... I'm pretty sure it's possible that if the Tiger's go to the playoffs (fingers crossed, am I right?), there could be a Lions, Tigers and Bears, er, Red Wings Game on the same day! I can't even imagine what kind of a logistic nightmare would ensue... I guess we'll find out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best memory at Olympia: 8 year old looking up at Gordie Howe as he walked unto the ice. He was 8 feet tall as I recall.

    Worst memory at Olympia: 16 year old jumping the median on Grand River with my Chevey Nova. Where did that come from.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so excited about this. I've been a Wings fan ever since I can remember. I haven't been to many games recently, but I did go to the game where they retired Lidstrom's number. It was a really cool event with a lot of hockey greats down on the ice to congratulate him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so excited about the new stadium! As someone who has studied architecture I can not wait to see how they blend the new stadium in with the everchanging Detroit architecture!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great story, I am truly excited about the new stadium. Thank you for braking down the financial facts as well. It will make a difference in the City, specially with what it is going on in the last few years. GO RED WINGS!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is hard to see the Joe leave. I am excited yet disappointed at the same time that we will have a new stadium. the biggest thing I am worried about is the price of ticket sales once the new stadium is built. I have a feeling we will be seeing prices nearly double.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sad to see the Joe go, but its time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't wait till they get a new arena. I love the Joe but it is getting kind of old and needs to be updated. Plus the Red Wings are such a good team they need to have more seats in their arena so they can fit more people. I am happy they are building a new arena for them :D! I hope it gets done soon!

    ReplyDelete